UPDATED FEB 2022
SME Strategy is a strategy consulting company that specializes in aligning teams around their vision, mission, values, goals and action plans. Learn more about how we can help you and your team create a strategic plan with our strategic planning and implementation services.
Although every strategic planning session is different depending on the needs of each organization, most strategic planning agendas have a similar structure. Below is a sample strategic planning agenda that you can use and customize to your needs.
We recommend including your team in the planning process as early as possible to increase company-wide buy-in and implementation after the session.
Strategic Planning Meeting Agenda Day 1:
- Team Introductions/individual background/history of the organization
- Who is the facilitator, and what is their role?
- Meeting round rules
- What are our goals for the next 2 days?
- How did we get here? Celebrate our wins.
- Ice Breaker game. Sets the tone for the 2 days.
- Game: Survival. (Making Strategic Choices)
- What makes our organization?
- SWOT (Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats)
- Environmental scan
- Trends: Pestle (political, economical, social, technological, legal, environmental)
- Vision: where are we going? (ONE Destination for 3 years)
- Why should we go there?
- What is winning?
- What is the mission/purpose of the organization
- What are we here to do?
- For who (Stakeholders)
5:00-5:30 Recap of the day.
- Questions/concerns and thoughts
End of Day One!
We can help you align your team around a clear vision, mission, values, goals and action plans,
so you can lead your organization more effectively and get better results.
Don't have a full two days?
Check out our one-day strategic planning meeting agenda
Strategic Planning Meeting Agenda Day 2:
- Good Morning- Thoughts from yesterday.
- Continue Mission Conversation
- Organizational values & guiding principles
- Identifying values and behaviors as "the way things are done around here" (whether positive or negative)
- How do desired values compare and/or differ from actual values and behaviors?
- Roadblocks (Brainstorm)
- What is going to try and get in our way?
- Potential risks
- How to stop it?
- What needs to be addressed?
1:00-2:00 Moving the needle:
- Internal strategies/plans
- Strategic themes (as headlines) with scorecards
- Goal setting for the strategic themes
- Action plans and next steps (Project Plan)
- Communication plan/ Knowledge transfer / Uniting the rest of the organization.
4:30 Recap of SWOT and internal plans:
End of Day Two!
Every organization has their own strategic priorities and every strategic planning facilitation agenda is unique to different organizational needs.
Hopefully, this sample strategic planning agenda is helpful in developing your 2 day off-site strategy meeting, or any other strategic work you might do.
Looking for a virtual strategy session agenda?